Do I have to apply for probate?
Probate is required by law if your estate is worth more than £5000. If it is, your family will not be able to deal with your property or financial affairs until the probate process is completed.
Probate can take up to 6-months even if you have a will in place, but it can take up to 2-years and cost many thousands of pounds more in legal fees if you do not.
How can you help with the probate process?
We can administer the probate forms and apply for a Grant of Probate on your behalf — we can also carry out the following tasks to help your executor:
- Register the death with the local probate registry.
- Pay the funeral expenses.
- Find all the financial documentation of the deceased.
- Value the deceased person’s estate.
- Prepare the relevant IHT return and pay any Inheritance Tax due.
- Register the grant of probate with the relevant institutions e.g. banks, building societies.
- Take care of the deceased assets, e.g. secure an empty property; make sure the property is insured and adequately maintained.
- Transfer the ownership of any property and close any accounts.
- Provide help and advice if the deceased left assets in a trust or overseas.
- Write a deed of variation for beneficiaries who are under 18-years old.
- Complete any required income tax return or capital gains return on behalf of the deceased.
- Pay all outstanding debts or liabilities owed by the deceased.
- Collect any property or money owed to the deceased.
- Pay any expenses incurred.
- Prepare final accounts for the estate.
- Set up Trusts which may arise from the will.
- Distribute the estate by following the will or according to the Laws of Intestacy.
Probate does not need to be as complicated as it seems, and the burden on your family can be reduced significantly if you provide the correct instruction in a will.
Call us on 01273 385833 to learn more.
Why Choose Brighton Wills & Family Trusts?
- You will be dealing with real people who have your best interests at the heart of our business.
- We maintain excellent standards through our membership of The Society of Will Writers, who administer the industry Code of Practice.
- Our professional, yet non-stuffy approach is a testament to the hundreds of satisfied clients who have chosen Brighton Wills & Family Trusts to write over 1,500 wills and lasting power of attorney documents since 2014.
- And for your peace of mind — we carry Professional Indemnity Insurance of £2 million — and we are always happy to provide references if required.
Brighton Will Writers & Family Trusts
"Helping you protect what you have worked all your life for"
Helping you protect what matters the most
Making a will is one of the most responsible things you can do in your life. It takes decision making away from the courts and ensures your property, savings and personal possessions are distributed to the people you choose in the manner you wish.
Once you have a will in place, you will feel a massive sense of relief. You will be safe in the knowledge you have bought order to what is often a hugely emotional situation.